Monday, May 08, 2006

Women Memorial Labyrinth





This had been an event I ran into by coincidence. I was going to the Kurpark in Wiesbaden on Saturday, when I noticed a lot of women gathering at this spot, all dressed up very differently. I asked one of the women what they were doing and she explained that this was an event called "Frauen-Gedenk-Labyrinth" (Women Memorial Labyrinth).

Women from all over Germany had gathered here, each of them representing a memorable woman from the past. The labyrinth which was layed out in the grass of the park was made of stone plates with their names on them. I saw names like Sophie Scholl, Florence Nightingale, Edith Piaf, Agatha Christie, Clara Schumann, Evita Perron, Hatschepsut, Hildegard von Bingen, and a lot more, some of them known, some not. Alltogether, the labyrinth has 1000 plates like that.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stay for the whole event, but the woman told me that later on they would walk the labyrinth, add new stone plates with new names and leave flowers or mussels on some of their favorite stones.

Related links:
Frauen-Gedenk-Labyrinth (German)
labyrinth-international.org

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Kala said...

Wow - what a run-in - it sounds so unusual but very interesting.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Admin said...

what a wonderful coincidence...this kind of event is truly empowering women around the world. inspirations are wonderful things...:-) thanks, nicola...(interesting gowns they wear also).

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I really like this idea!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Brian DubĂ© said...

Very nice idea, also like seeing a variety of photos of the event...
L

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger somebody said...

I like the idea too - must be fun to get all dressed up

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger micki said...

Great shots of such an interesting gathering.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

That sounds so cool. What a worthy event:)

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger jenni said...

That sounds like a wonderful event. Such a great thing to stumble upon! I'm glad you had your camera!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Nicola said...

Thank you all for your comments! Yes, it had been an interesting event and I was lucky to run into it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home